CHRISTIANITY IN SOUTHWOLD
 
9 -11 Victoria Street, Southwold, Suffolk IP18 6HZ - Tel: 07708 781317 email
 
 
 
 
In the beginning
The Sea
Natural Southwold
Fishing
Transport to Southwold
Southwold at war
Christianity in Southwold
Industry
Arts & Crafts
Holidays & Leisure
Southwold the town
Southwold Shops & Trades
 

.

 
 
 
  Different Christian traditions – sometimes in conflict – have shaped Southwold’s religious tradition and town architecture.
 

In the last few centuries, the history of religious faith in Southwold has been punctuated by disputes.

Quaker George Fox was attacked by a mob in St Edmund’s Church in 1659. The Town Preacher, Mr Woodward, found himself evicted from town in 1662 at the end of the Civil War. An Independent Congregation broke away from St Edmund’s Church in 1682. After leading an open-air service in Southwold, a Methodist preacher ended up in the stocks in 1778.

More recently, in 1852, St Edmund’s Vicar, the Reverend Rous Birch, became involved in a bitter dispute with the Mayor, who was also a churchwarden, over the replacement of box pews by open benches . The Wesleyan Methodist Church, was split by a secession in 1885.

However, the most controversial of all the conflicts, from today’s standpoint, was the destructive visit by William Dowsing to St Edmund’s Church in 1644 – and, the most puzzling, the truth about the breakaway in 1682. Find out about them by clicking the links

.Oak Angel
Rediscovered during recent restoration work at St Edmund’s Church, the 'Southwold Angel' would have been originally positioned against a wall, supporting  one of the posts that helped spread the load of the roof. Carved from a single piece of English oak in the 15th Century, it is a  remarkable survivor and now on public view for the first time in centuries.

 

 

WHO WAS
ST EDMUND AND
WHAT HAS HE GOT
TO DO WITH A
STICKY BUN?
 
Click the bun!
 
 
 

Head scratching!
what drove William Dowsing?


 
  Defaced angel on St Edmund's Rood Screen  
 

PREACHER IN THE STOCKS
Find out why by clicking the picture.
   
Replica of the stocks in which the Methodist preacher was placed in 1778  

 

FALLEN ANGEL
   

Recently acquired by the museum: a fragment of Victorian stained glass from St Edmund's Church. The windows were all blown out in May 1943 during Southwold's worst night of bombing. The strange story of the particular high-explosive bomb that caused this damage and many deaths is recounted here.

To see an enlargement of the angel, click the image.


 

 

 
 

HOME | OUR STORY | TIMELINE | VISIT | SHOP | CONTACT | MESSAGEBOARD | LINKS | SITE MAP | THE SOCIETY
IN THE BEGINNING | THE SEA | NATURAL SOUTHWOLD | FISHING | TRANSPORT | SOUTHWOLD AT WAR | CHRISTIANITY | INDUSTRY | ARTS & CRAFTS | HOLIDAYS & LEISURE | SOUTHWOLD THE TOWN

Southwold Museum & Historical Society, 9 -11 Victoria Street, Southwold, Suffolk IP18 6HZ
Tel:07708 781317 email

A Charitable Incorporated Organisation, Registered Charity No 1159790,

Scrolling Text provided by JPowered,com

Web Design by Barry Tolfree